Hair Loss Treatment Options in Houston, TX
Hair loss can happen for a variety of reasons, but understanding the causes of hair loss can help you find the most effective treatment. Aesthetic Hair Restoration offers hair loss treatment options in Houston, TX. There’s more than one answer to the question of what causes hair loss? Male pattern alopecia accounts for about half of males of 50 dealing with hair loss. However, there are other hair loss causes and different reasons for hair loss in women. Over 70% of men experience some form of hair loss during their lifetime, so knowing the causes of hair loss in men and how they can be treated can save you the hassle and boost your self-confidence. Learn more about what causes hair loss in women and men and some of your treatment options. Get in touch with our team today to schedule a consultation
What Causes Hair Loss?
There are many reasons why people may experience hair loss. The cause of your hair loss can determine whether your hair thins or falls out gradually or abruptly. Knowing the cause of your hair loss will help you know if you can regrow your hair on its own or need to explore treatment options. Certain causes of hair loss require immediate care to prevent permanent hair loss. Learn more about these common causes of hair loss:
- Hereditary Hair Loss – The most common cause of hair loss occurs in both men and women. It’s referred to as male pattern hair loss for men and female pattern hair loss for women. The medical term for this type of hair loss is androgenic alopecia. This genetic cause of hair loss results in hair follicles shrinking, and over time they no longer grow hair. The first sign in men is usually a receding hairline or bald spot, and the first sign for women is overall thinning or a widening part. Treatment can help regrow hair or stop or slow hair loss.
- Alopecia Areata – This disease occurs if the body’s immune system attacks its hair follicles. You might lose hair anywhere on your body, including your scape, in your ears and nose, and more. Treatment can help stimulate regrowth.
- Hair Care – Coloring, perming, or relaxing your hair could damage it and lead to hair loss. This can lead to permanent bald spots.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Polycystic ovary syndrome can lead to hair loss or thinning hair. Treatment can help with this and other hormonal imbalances.
- Childbirth, Illness, or Stressors – You might notice some hair loss a few months after you give birth, have an operation, or recover from an illness. Stressful events such as losing a loved one or getting a divorce can cause hair loss. Once the stress stops, your body will readjust
- Scalp Infection – Having an infection on your scalp can result in scaly or inflamed areas. Some people develop bald spots or see black dots that are stubs of hair. Treatment can get rid of the infection so your hair can start to grow again.
- Cancer Treatment – Chemotherapy or radiation to the head or neck may result in losing all or most of your hair within a few weeks. The good news is that hair will usually start to regrow after chemo or radiation treatments. You may use medication to regrow your hair, and a cooling cap could help prevent hair loss.
- Age – It’s not uncommon for hair growth to slow with age. Hair follicles stop growing hair at some point, and the hair on your scalp will thin. Hair also starts to lose its color over time. Women’s hairlines begin to recede naturally. Treatment can help some people regrow hair if caught early.
- Medication – Some medications have side effects that cause hair loss. Check your medications and talk to your doctor. Do not stop taking medications before getting a doctor’s approval. Regrowth may be possible.
- Scalp Psoriasis – People who have plaque psoriasis can develop it on their scalp, leading to hair loss. Once the condition clears, hair can regrow.
- Hair Pulling – Some people pull on their hair to relieve stress. You need to stop pulling your hair for it to regrow. This may require some type of therapy.
- Scarring Alopecia – Inflammation can destroy hair follicles, and they will no longer grow hair. If you catch this condition early, you can prevent further hair loss.
- Sexually Transmitted Infection – An STI can lead to hair loss, and syphilis is the most common offender. If left untreated, it can cause hair loss on the scalp and in other places like a beard or eyebrows. Hair can regrow after the STI is treated.
- Thyroid Disease – A problem with your thyroid can result in thinning hair or hair that comes out in clumps when brushed. Treating the condition can reverse hair loss.
- Poison – Some prescription drugs like warfarin can cause hair loss. Large amounts of vitamin A and selenium can cause hair to stop growing, as can poisons, including arsenic, mercury, and more.
- Nutritional Deficiencies – You may experience hair loss if you don’t get enough iron, zinc, protein, or biotin.
Schedule a Consultation for Hair Loss Treatment Options
Just as there are many causes of hair loss, you also have options for hair loss treatments. Aesthetic Hair Restoration offers hair loss treatment options for men and women in Houston, TX. While there may not be a one-size-fits-all hair loss cure, understanding the causes of hair loss in women and men can help us find the most optimal treatment option for you. We have non-surgical and surgical hair loss treatment options. Contact us today to learn more or schedule a consultation.